Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Google Chrome on Android? Score!.. sort of.

Google got that Chrome for your phone!
Hello tech-invested readers!

Some facts:
  • The second most popular internet browser as of November 2011 is Google Chrome.
  • One of the growing dominant operating systems (OS) on phones is Android, created also by Google.
So, how inevitable is it that Google Chrome was going to get it on with your phone? VERY!

YouTube:
Watch "Introducing Chrome for Android Beta" on YouTube

Now, I ain't a Google-head, it just so happens that they meet my needs for simplicity and connectivity when it comes to the internet or phone. So, how do I feel about Android Chome? It's great for me, who uses Google Chrome, and as of recently go an Android phone, know I can continue my browsing from the internet to the phone as I'm always looking into something.

I'm a big fan of integration too (I don't have an Xbox 360 or a Microsoft phone, but I love the way MS put it together so you can use one feature on two or more of their products here and there). I look to the future from here and see a wider world of possibilities, as I admittedly trust the Google company (for the most part). News of this, and their unified Terms of Service make me hanker more for the possibility of bigger user-friendly opportunities in God knows what in the near future.

Google dreams aside, this - simply put - is a great thing as it encourages a great method of synchronised connectivity, but there are a couple of snags:
  • It's as of this post only released in BETA (test) mode, meaning there will be glitches and bugs. This ain't a terrible thing though. It's a great opportunity to to try it give feedback for improvements they'll be able to make on it it while a large amount of effort is being put in to the official release.
  • It will only release on Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS = Android OS 4.0+). I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, so this means I can't head straight to the market and download Chrome. This is something most people will come across.
However, there are many Android phones which will get ICS update in the coming year.

For a very good list of when phones are upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwichclick here to see this updating Reddit link.

Got an Android phone? Use Google Chrome? Tried them both and didn't like it? Share your thoughts below!

-Harish, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment