Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Attack the Block" (2011) Film review

Hello reader!

So let me get this straight... there's an alien invasion... NOT in the USA? Hmmm...

About
Director: Joe Cornish
Main Stars: Jodie Whittaker, John Boyega, Nick Frost, and Luke Treadaway
Studio: Big Talk Productions
Distributor: Optimum Releasing
UK Release Date: 11 May, 2011
Running Time: 88 minutes

Brief Plot
A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion.
[Click for the Trailer]

Review
So when I heard that there was a flick releasing around the summer about an alien invasion hitting an estate in South London, who end up in a mini-war against ghetto kids, I just put my head in my hand and tutted. "Why? ...just, why??" Then I saw the advert, and I was caught off-guard, it didn't strike me as cheesy as when I saw the trailer to Anuvahood, as good or as bad as that film might be. I was cracking smiles. Then I find out Joe Cornish is the writer and director behind it? I'm interested.

See, Cornish is a close associate of Edgar Wright, and they've worked on projects together. I like Wright's style, and so I felt compelled to give this a go. The film started off simply with a mugging, as possible in any creepily dark road. Sam, a nurse in plain clothes portrayed by Jodie Whittaker, gathers the attention of a troublesome gang who mug her, but she manages to escape as something hits a nearby car and switches the groups attention. The gang leader, Moses, done coldly and rather well by John Boyega, decides it's the perfect opportunity to take items from the car, before being scathed by a fleeing creature and causing the desire of revenge in him so he attacks it.

The gang are happy and take it to local marijuana wrangler Ron, amusingly portrayed by Nick Frost, to make sense of the body. They're happy with their effort, that is until they realise there's more on the way... and they couldn't be happier about it! Ready for local turf war, they take on aliens, an offended local drug-lord, police, and make friends with very angry nurse. The tone of the film was brilliant, as the comedy wasn't particularly cheesy, and I could see these characters in people I know so I could imagine such a incident (is that bizarre? Probably.)

I think the humour was perfect for what the film is, with notable two or three people bringing the fun, and the film was very well directed, with great styling and a really great choice of alien monster, so black you just can't see it... except its glowing teeth. A little unsettling when pondered over. The music layered very well over the visuals, just the right kind of spooky without being overbearing - a fine job by Basement Jaxx and Steven Price.

I personally feel the film was really well put together, from characters to filming, and the story wasn't bad. It was good for an Inner City vs Outer Space flick, and I liked the subtle touch of humanity laid in front of Moses. Maybe a little more depth would have been nice, but it still worked. While the film didn't feel as grand as Independence Day, Battle: LA, or Cloverfield, it was a great time with good fun and considerable effort for such a daring idea, with an awesome splash of humour.

Overall Rating
It's a nice, tidy flick with an enjoyable blend of humour and space attacks in the block. Enjoyable with a crowd, but definitely not something for everyone, innit.

7/10



Watch if You Liked...

  • Kidulthood
  • Predator
  • Shaun of the Dead

Does the film appeal to you? If you've seen it, what did you think? What would you do if it wasn't your nearest major city but quite literally your street that was under attack by aliens? Share with us your thoughts!

-Harish, out

No comments:

Post a Comment